29 March, 2010

Spurs Coach Popovich Mouths Off About ‘World Champ’ Banners In Boston


The San Antonio Spurs laid down a serious beating on the Boston Celtics Sunday night at the TD Bank Garden; the 94-73 loss was the C’s worst of the season and only the third time they have been beaten by 20 or more.


There was another story making headlines in Boston, though, other than the disgraceful loss. Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich spoke with local media and had some interesting things to say about the 17 banners hanging from the Garden rafters.

“There are no World Champions in the NBA, so anybody that has the flag up that says world champions is not correct,” Popovich told a local Boston rag… I mean mag. Popvich went on to say “The world champions, I believe, are the Spanish team right now. USA is the Olympic champion. The Lakers are the NBA champion. It doesn’t make sense for an NBA team to call themselves world champions. I don’t remember anybody playing anybody outside our borders to get that tag. Isn’t that true? I keep waiting for somebody to tell me I’ve missed something.”

Though Pop comes off as an arrogant choad, he poses a valid argument. It is an argument that could also be posed about the so called ‘World’ Series champions in the MLB. To call yourself world champs you should have to prove yourself against the world.

“There’s a team in Canada. That’s true,” Popvich said. “The world’s bigger than North America. I know sometimes we as arrogant Americans don’t respond to the rest of the world, but it’s true. There’s a big world out there.”

I agree with Popovich on this one and I hope that everyone else sees his logic. I for one will be saying NBA and MLB champs from now on, unless these teams want to challenge the rest of the world in a tournament similar to the UEFA Champions League. Now that’s an idea that could be huge…

No comments: